Special Education Needs and Disabilities (SEND)
Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND)
Special Educational Needs Information Report
To be reviewed – October 2018
Schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or disabilities and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.
All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.
The broad areas of SEND need are:
- Communication and Interaction
- Cognition and Learning
- Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
- Sensory and/or Physical
What does the Local Authority (LA)Offer?
The Children and Families Bill was enacted in September 2014. From this Bill, the LA and schools are required to publish information about services they expect to be available for individuals, aged 0-25 with Special Educational needs (SEN). The LA refer to this as the Local Offer.
The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.
What does the school offer?
Dubmire utilises the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of the SEND pupils. By clicking on the questions below, you can read further information about the support Dubmire can offer a child with SEND.
What is the Special Education Needs Information Report?
Schools utilise the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy and the provision that the school is able to provide. Schools refer to this as ‘The Special Education Needs Information Report.
Please read the 13 questions below for more information about the Special Education Needs Information Report for Dubmire Academy.
1. Who are the best people to talk to in the school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND)?
2. What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in the school?
3. How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?
4. How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?
5. How is extra support allocated to children?
6. Who are the other people providing services to children with SEND in the school?
7. How are the staff in the school helped to work with children with SEND and what training do they have?
8. How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?
9. How will we measure the progress of your child in school?
10. What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?
11. How is the school accessible to children with SEND?
12. How will we support your child when they are leaving Dubmire or moving to another class?
13. What Emotional and Social Development support does Dubmire offer to children with SEND?
14. Where can I find further information?
Please click below to view the local offer from Sunderland Local Authority.